Sunday, August 4, 2013

Recipe: Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake

Wow! Time flies and I will barely meet my two-posts-per-week standard with all the studying I have been doing. For some reason this summer "semester" was smooth sailing all the way through, and now these professors are trying to suffocate me under piles of flashcards, books and take-home exams. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There is a plane waiting to take me to beautiful Costa Rica, and I intend to get there looking rested and energetic and carefree!

What do I do to motivate and energize myself between intense study sessions? Have dessert, of course. But since I haven't left the apartment unless absolutely necessary for a class, I haven't even been able to gather material for a new review. And the last time I wanted to do some proper baking, I only managed to start at midnight, which of course meant that I had to wait until the next morning to try the result (at least according to what my Mama has been telling me all my life: "Don't eat late at night!"). So I returned to my good old friend, the easy breezy quick mug cake. 


This fluffy cinnamon cake with gooey cream cheese icing can be made in only a few minutes with the help of a microwave. I got the recipe from a blog called Cooking Classy, which made it look a lot fancier than my version, but I am sure the taste was exactly the same: Delicious!

Get your ingredients:

- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp buttermilk (I used half and half)
-  1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)

For the cream cheese icing:
- 1 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk

Prepare the cream cheese icing first by mixing all ingredients together, and set aside. You want it to be ready when the cake comes out hot and fresh. 

The cake is just as easy to prepare. Simply take a big mug, combine all ingredients, stir well, and pop it into the microwave. Bake on high for 1 minute. If it looks like it's not done yet, bake a little longer and check back in 15-second intervals. The length of this step depends on your microwave and the size/shape of the mug you are using. 


I used a bowl instead of a mug, which gave me a bigger surface to spread the rich icing on. It also gave my old microwave a better chance at a satisfying result.

And satisfying it was. Serve warm and make sure to clear your mind of all worries before you dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment