Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dean & DeLuca Georgetown

 
Dean & DeLuca is maybe not the most obvious choice to start the search for DC's most delicious desserts, but a definite must-go for food lovers (and especially those with big wallets). I obviously only went in to eye the bakery section, but this place is a lot bigger than it looks from the outside and most probably has something to offer for all tastes. There is a dine-in section at the back and the atmosphere could be compared to a market hall, - so if you enjoy many different noises and smells and people walking past your tables then you might want to enjoy your sweet treat right away with a nice cup of coffee instead of taking it out.

I personally like to eat slowly and appreciate every single bite, especially if it is calorie-packed like the specialty cherry brownie I ordered, so I had it at home. Together with a huge (and when I say huge I mean huge!) chocolate chip cookie. 

No, I was not able to finish both in one go, but you don't have to. It still tastes as good the day after. The second time I ate from the brownie I heated it up for a few minutes and let me tell you - best idea ever! It had small pieces of chocolate inside that melted and gave it a really gooey consistency along with a delicious chocolate-y smell. I don't know if I cared too much for the cherries because they were rather dry and chewy and seemed to stick to the otherwise fluffy brownie. The chocolate taste was very rich and satisfying, and after eating half of it I really did not need any more to be happy. Still, it was a lot better warm than cold, and I can only imagine how good it would taste with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


I would go back to Dean & DeLuca for brownies, but would probably opt for the classic version or one with walnuts to add some crunch.

As for the cookie, I was a bit divided. Did I love it or find it "just ok"? It was quite thick and had a nice consistency, soft and not too heavy, with melted chocolate morsels that seriously "stretched" apart like melted cheese when you broke off a piece. Mmmhhhhhhh..... Just looking at it was already a treat in itself. But the taste of the cookie itself was a bit bland. It was neither very sweet nor salty nor anything. It was "just" a cookie. So while I appreciated the size and appearance of it for a price of USD 2.50, I would probably not buy it again.

Brownie Points for the Specialty Cherry Brownie: 
2 out of 3
Brownie Points for the Chocolate Chip Cookie: 1 out of 3

Dean & Deluca Cafe on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment