Hum... "Everyone" might be a bit premature... I think this blog will be my little secret for a while before I start telling people about it. Who knows if I am even good at this? Do I have enough expertise to pass judgment on food? Will I annoy people with my imperfect English? Do I have the time to attend to this blog regularly enough for it to stay interesting? Does this city even offer enough variety when it comes to desserts? Will I have to spend all my money?
Either way, this is what I do know:
- I loooooooveeee sweet stuff. Cupcakes, brownies, pies, crepes, waffles, donuts, hot chocolate, ice cream, cakes, macarons, cookies... you name it.
- I have had lots and lots of experience tasting them and distinguishing the good from the boring from the bad across several continents in establishments ranging from 5-star hotels to tucked-away corner stores
- I need a hobby here in DC, otherwise my thoughts are just too consumed with papers, exams and homework. A graduate student's gotta have a life, too!!
- I have not found a blog that focuses exclusively on pastries and desserts yet and think this is unbelievable! Am I the only one who cares?
- There are many places in this city that I have been wanting to visit but never quite had a reason to, so this is it! I am creating my reason! Talk about taking matters into your own hands!
So the idea is to try amazing desserts all over Washington DC and neighboring cities, and rank them according to a "brownie point" system. That way we'll know whether it is worth going back there or recommending it to others. Desserts can receive anything from zero to three brownie points, with three being the highest honor (do not miss!) and zero telling you to stay away.
If you decide to go on this journey with me, and trust the taste of a German girl trying to discover all the sweet treats DC has to offer, I promise to award my brownie points carefully and with your best interests in mind. Oh what am I saying. - People are selfish! I will probably put my interests first. But the good news is that my interests are likely very similar to yours if you enjoy my posts.
This is the beginning of something great...