Friday, April 5, 2013

Eamonn's Fried Chocolate Bars

When I last visited Alexandria my friend was obsessed with a dinner recommendation featured in her travel guide book, so I let her lead me to this small Irish restaurant on King Street. I have read many positive reviews about Eamonn's since and definitely agree: It is unique and cosy (with high ceilings, exposed brick, and wooden benches and stools that seat only 20 diners) and offers surprisingly affordable fresh food with home-made sauces. All dishes are served in paper bags.

The menu is primarily made up of different kinds of fish and hand-cut chips. Some particularly appreciate the Guinness they have on tap. - I on the other hand was fascinated by their deep-fried chocolate bars.

Oooohhhh yes, imagine mouthwatering thick melted chocolate, caramel, and nougat inside a crispy batter shell covered in sugar and cinnamon! As you cut it in half the rich chocolate slowly oozes out, leaving a big mess on your paper bag before you scoop it all up and fill your mouth with what can only be described as intense, warm, ... and sticky. The best part: It only costs you USD 3.50! 

We actually tried both the Snickers and Mars bars, because our extremely friendly waiter recommended the Mars but I insisted on the Snickers... simply because I love it so much when its not fried; I thought I couldn't go wrong. But yes I could! The Snickers taste was unrecognizable in its melted state, whereas the Mars was all the better, with an extremely rich chocolate after-taste . So I learned to trust the waiter next time...

This dessert was apparently invented in a Scottish fish and chips shop but never became very popular due to the fact that it is so extremely unhealthy. I am quite certain that one won't kill you though, and as a chocolate lover I was over the moon when I left Eamonn's that night, vowing to come back.

Brownie Points: 3 out of 3

Eamonn's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment